Find your Event
EMPLOYMENT AND BUSINESS LAW UPDATE
|Registration||Course starts||Coffee||Course ends|
£99+VAT. (click here for information on the Flexiticket discount scheme - fees as low as £45.60+VAT per place)
The course provides a good overview of a number of areas of law, concentrating on the topics likely to be most useful to you in your day to day dealings with clients and staff. Given the current state of uncertainty surrounding our exit from the EU and the shape of our future government, it is difficult to be very specific about some aspects of the content. Therefore what is laid out below may be subject to some modification. Broadly the course will attempt to cover the legal issues that accountants who assist SMEs are likely to deal with or be asked about in the course of their normal work.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Employers and professionals providing advice to small companies and directors of SMEs.
Company and business law
- Impact of changes brought about by Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Act 2015, in particular the PSC Register and the changes to the insolvency regime
- Directors’ Duties and relevant case law
- Using restrictive covenants in relation to the sale and purchase of a business and in relation to employees
- Changes to EU law on data protection – how will they impact if mirrored by UK?
Company law: the main areas explored will be:
- Employment status
- Useful terms to include when drafting employment contracts
- Working time and minimum wage issues
- Discrimination including the impact of the Equality Act 2010 and all the new cases
- Family friendly rights including shared parental leave and extension to grandparents
- Disability discrimination and dealing with sickness
- Developments in unfair dismissal and using settlement offers
- What is coming up? Changes due this year and next
As far as time allows we will also look at:
Professional negligence – in particular engagement letters and recent cases on third party liability