Find your Event
CHARITIES LEGAL UPDATE
|Registration||Course starts||Coffee||Course ends|
£110+VAT. (click here for information on the Flexiticket discount scheme - fees as low as £61.67+VAT per place)
Attendance at this course together with ‘Charities Update’ is offered to registered charities at a combined concessionary fee of £110+VAT (half the standard fee).
This updated and revised course will provide an overview of the most important legal developments in the course of the last 12 months, including practical advice flowing from those decisions. As far as time allows, these developments will be placed in the wider context of the general law, in particular in relation to trustees’ duties. It also summarises the key Commission guidance and consultation documents, as well as covering the most important legislative changes relevant to small and medium sized charities, with some reference to data protection. The course will include reference to all new cases reported and publications produced up to two weeks prior to the course, but will deal with most of the topics below.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Charities staff, trustees and their advisors.
- Which structure? Setting up a charity and the legal implications of the various legal forms
- Ethics and compliance issues
- The philanthropy landscape – dealing with big donations
- What have we learned from the Garden Bridge project?
- Anti-advocacy clauses in government contracts – the issues
Administration of the Charity
- Recent CC investigations
- Serious incident reporting – a current concern
- Top tips for a good safeguarding strategy
- Making grants overseas – HMRC guidance
- Definition and summary of duties
- Some practical examples from the ICO
- Personal liability of trustees
- Recent guidance, including from IoF on fundraising and ICO on processing contracts
- What have we learned from the Morrisons case?
- Issues with the FPS – why are so many charities being referred?
Employment Law in the Voluntary Sector
- New employment status developments
- Payroll issues
- Unlawful discrimination update including religion and belief and disability discrimination
- Redundancy and unfair dismissal update